With Kylian Mbappé sidelined by injury and Zinedine Zidane fielding a heavily revamped attack, France needed a spark.
Substitute Michael Olise provided it, scoring a stunning late winner to secure a 1-0 UEFA Nations League win over Belgium on Monday.
It took something special to break the Belgians down, and Olise delivered in the 88th minute. He received the ball deep inside his own half, he sprinted down the right flank, cut inside, and drove a fierce shot into the bottom left corner.
The brilliant solo effort prompted a wild reaction from Zidane, who sprinted down the touchline screaming before fiercely booting a loose ball out of his path.
"I went along with the play and I wanted to be part of it," Zidane said with a smile.
"I don't even know what I did, actually. What's for sure is that I followed Michael's [Olise] move, and because I sensed he was off on a dribble and he made an exceptional play, so I wanted to follow him. And then I saw the ball there, and I told myself I had to shoot it, it might be a little bit ridiculous, but it doesn't matter." More Info ..
0 Comments